Friday, August 23, 2019

Growth Mindset

Growth Mindset Meme Blog
This image gives a good idea to the different learning styles that one can have. I am a visual-spatial learner, yet also learn well with linguistics. 

Before this class, I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset before, I had just begun to learn about it after watching the videos provided.  I see myself on the spectrum leaning more towards having a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset. I have always been the type that if challenges occur, I am appreciative that they are there because I am able to adapt and learn from them, instead of running away from my obstacles. I have learned since being at OU that failure is inevitable, but it is how one deals with it and learns from it that is important. I began to develop a growth mindset and instead of running from a challenge, I instead was able to embrace them. One of my biggest challenges during my first semester at OU was learning how to deal with failure and how to come back from it. I had to understand to learn from my mistakes and figure out how I could fix them to the best of my ability. I think the concept of growth mindsets is very interesting and I would enjoy learning more about this concept as the semester goes by. My personal learning goals for this semester are to focus on actually learning and understanding the material presented instead of worrying that I need to just memorize it and forget about it. I am in hard science classes coming up in the next few semesters, so I could see myself applying this growth mindset concept to these classes to enhance my learning. I think that overall, Carol Dweck has a great concept on what a growth mindset can achieve, however, I do believe that after traditional grading scales, and the stress of the importance of grades is hard to reverse in the school systems.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Adrienne as a college student challenges that we have to face is how to deal with failures, high school does not teach you every thing and when you find yourself in middle of crisis or an assignment you have no prior knowledge about you got to put that growing mindset to work and just keep trying instead of accepting failure which a fixed mindset would do.

    ReplyDelete